Corsa Turbo

I know that. I dont believe anyone had said you could. It was just a bit of fragmentation caused by someone using the word "cossie"...

Reply to
Mason

It's bloody ridiculous, lending money to cars, isn't it? They never give it back.

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

"Mason" wrote

Google groups for the abuse JackH got for defending his Nova GTE. IMHO it can't have been as bad as people make out or he would not have kept it so long.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

None of mine have ever paid me back :o(

Reply to
Mason

Personally have driven a nova and hated it. Hated the handling,, looks, pretty much everything. I would have pretty much any other equivalent priced "hot" hatch over a nova. cant stand the cars. Wasnt too impressed with a 2.0

16v nova, nor the Calibra V6 nova i've been a passenger in, Nor the 1.6 16v turbo nova i went out in.

at the end of the day...thye were all still novas.

Reply to
Mason

Well, I suppose your right that was posted at 4.30 am :P but an RS500 is a very nice car and I love cars with motorsport history *strokes audi quattro sport*.

Reply to
REMUS

I've been in GSi's GTE's and a 2litre 8v, they are nice cars but too small for my height and for the money I would rather buy an Astra GTE 16v or somthing and strip it out, for B road storming.

Reply to
REMUS

205 1.9 GTi any day of the week. Drive amazingly. I just dont like the car [nova] as a whole package, never mind what engine you drop in it.
Reply to
Mason

In news:417589bd$0$44866$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net, Mason decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Indeed, at least the Peugeot is a decent car to start with. Unlike Novas / Corsas / Astras.

Built out of tinfoil with a habit of violent lift off oversteer, but hey, they're *fun*

Reply to
Pete M

FFS, are you going to tell me the astra gte is a bad car now... for what reasons?

Reply to
REMUS

I crashed a 205 during some diesel spill induced violent lift off oversteer. It wasn't a GTi but I'm pretty glad it was a 205 and not a fiesta/nova/metro of the same age.

To me the immediate competition was a few years behind at this point (car was 1991 vintage) in terms of crashability/drivability/suspension setup. Having said that I haven't crashed any other cars.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I took the long way home tonight, then i turned around and went for a drive. Its quite a while since i done that in any car. Thats payback enough for me, nearly.

-- Chet

HF Integrale 16v - Possibly sold, yey!1993 Renault 19 16v - Subtle extras like a T3 - But soon a fancy T28!1998 Audi A4 - For Sale

Reply to
Chet

In news:cl459s$e72$ snipped-for-privacy@news8.svr.pol.co.uk, REMUS decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

read the badge on the back.

If It says "Vauxhall", and it's also fwd, it's s**te. Sorry.

Decent enough engines though, but I'd have gone for the Mk2 Golf.

Think about it for a second or two... FWD Vauxhalls..

Mk1 Astra = Shite. Mk2 Astra = Shite (worse than a Mk1) Mk3 Astra = Shite (better than a Mk2) Mk4 Astra = Shite Mk2 Cavalier = Shite (although the SRi 130 has charm) Mk3 Cavalier = Shite (although the GSi 4x4 has charm) Mk1 Vectra = Shite Mk2 Vectra = Shite Mk3 Vectra = Shite Nova / Corsa = Shite Corsa Mk2 = Shite Calibra = Shite (although the V6 has a perverse charm) Signum = Shite Meriva = Shite Zafira = Shite (although the GSi has charm)

They've *all* got s**te steering. GM specially engineers it into them. Most have pretty awful gearchanges too.

Whereas... RWD Vauxhalls are much, much better. Even the Omega is ok.

Sorry

Reply to
Pete M

Masses of fuel burnt off in this one aside, I'm pretty sure he'd get his money back on this one.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Even enthuiast based magazines opinion is the Mk3 GSi, is a more lardy version of the mk2

The calibra is a face lift version of the cavalier if you must know.

Coming from a guy who has a twin turbo charged 280 odd bhp estate? I'm not sure if I admire you or despise you Pete lol.

Reply to
REMUS

In news:cl4f2h$bta$ snipped-for-privacy@news7.svr.pol.co.uk, REMUS decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

agreed, it is more lardy, but it's slightly better to drive than the Mk2, which had a nasty ability to be heavy, soggy and vague all at once.

Indeed I do know this, the only reason I almost like the Calibra V6 is its quiet on the motorway, quieter than the equivalent Cavalier. Still not a very good car, but the V6 makes nice noises.

:-) Heh, I can understand that. I'm one of those bastards most people enjoy hating. I'd hate me if I was reading this!

Problem is, with the jobs I've done in the last 15 years, and with being a total petrolhead, I've driven most things on the road, hard, and normally for at least 30-40 miles.. and I can't stop myself from telling it as I see it.

As for the Sierra, well, it was cheap, it's 4wd, nippy, and proving to be rather reliable. As I'm spending most of my free time playing with Cosworths lately, it's the most sensible choice for me (most of the trim / suspension / brakes are interchangeable).. Just need to fix the aircon...

Reply to
Pete M

Er, what ?

The older generation Astras are spectacularly bad ! Terrible ride, Terrible handling, Terrible build, Terrible engines, Terrible performance...

I can't actually think of ANY good features that they posess !

Reply to
Nom

They are quite aerodynamic.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I've got to say, the old 1.3 Vauxhall engines were a reasonably good engine for their time, as far as a cheap and cheerful engine went. Bulletproof - could take a bloody good thrashing and still be running well - and almost as much power and torque as the 1.6 litre version. And a helluvalot better than the OHV 1.2 engines.

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You've shared discussions with me? All I've ever done is chuck in the odd flippant comment and a few random eBay links :-)