OT: Intel Macs - Official dual boot for XP

Cos so relatively few people use Macs that it's not worth the bother.

HTH.

Hey, I think we've cracked him :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Or perhaps it's not worth the effort of trying to hack systems that don't offer wide-open ways into them?

'There's none so blind as those who will not see'

Reply to
SteveH

Yeah, I did that to my 2 XP PCs, apart from the firewall and AV bit. I havent had any problems so far.

I think common sense is the most important part of your equation.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

So basically - "Macs - the PCs for the stupid" ;-)

Reply to
DanTXD

Yup, and once it's set up, like you say, automatic - it pops up saying "updates downloaded, click here to install", or if you choose, it just gets on with it and lets you know when it's done.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I've used Windows since it first came out. I gave training courses on Windows 3.0. I've supported it for years. I'm MCSE qualified.

I changed jobs recently. I've had to learn how to use Macs after years of saying their a pile of s**te.

How wrong I was...

Os

Reply to
Senor Osito

here here.. lol

Reply to
Ed

and how inefficient (imo) their HD codecs are..

Reply to
Ed

Ah, I knew this was coming.

Conor, I know that you know f*ck all about Macs apart from what you've gathered from a quick Google in order to get into a quick argument, so really - let's just leave it, eh?

(FWIW, it's on 10.4.6 partly because they add improvements, as well as RECOMMENDED MEASURES, in each update. Adding functionality and so forth. OS X tends to be more responsive with each release - i.e. 10.1 was damn slow, slower than 9.1, but 10.3 was faster than 10.2, 10.4 is faster than 10.3 and so forth).

Apple fix known vulnerabilities as they are discovered. Microsoft fixes vulnerabilites after they have been exploited.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Whaddya mean? There's been an exploit in the wild. It's simply that Mac users aren't quick stupid enough to fall for a blatant trojan, and the OS simply makes it impossible for the same level of malware to operate, period. Ditto Linux. Unless you're stupid enough to run as root and not expect it, anyway.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Ever seen the test where (someone - I forget who) stuck a brand new, out of the box XP system onto broadband and let it rip?

it took, IIRC, 15-20 minutes to download all the updates.

Which was about 5 times as long as it took for the system to be infected ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

You're several months too late.

Reply to
Conor

We're still smug, I don't know anyone who actually got infected.

Reply to
SteveH

Obviously I know more than you. I know a fair amount about Linux/Unix upon which MAC OSX is based.

Wrong again...

Reply to
Conor

Anyone installing this CAD program could have:

CIAC has determined that the demo CD-ROM for the Vellum 3D version 3.0 application is infected with a strain of the MBDF A/B virus. Vellum 3.0 is a high end CAD package for the Macintosh. The CD-ROM containing the updated version and some demo versions is being distributed at no charge by Ashlar Inc. Due to the fact this is a free distribution, the infected CD-ROM may be widely distributed.

Reply to
Conor

Fuck off, Conor. I've been using Macs since 1984, and OS X since launch

- AND linux, and Unix, and Windows - from 2.0 (and retrospectively, 1.0 and VisiOn) to XP SP2, via NT 3.51/4. You might THINK you found something in Google about them, but really - you know f*ck all about Mac OS if you don't use it.

No, really, I'm not.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Perhaps you should have taken the appropriate security precautions.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

Yes! You now have *two* bad choices! :P

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

Any decent system administrator knows how to keep his OS as secure as possible within it's inherent limitations.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

Was that machine open to the world for all of those eight years, especially before they wised up and ditched their toy in favour of UNIX?

Reply to
Antony Gelberg