OT: Intel Macs - Official dual boot for XP

I actually turned down the chance to own two machines that would, if nothing else, be great for usenet dick-waving contests.

A Data General Nova minicomputer.

A Cray. I have no idea what sort of Cray, but it was owned by an institution in York, and needed 3-phase and would have filled my garage. And I had to remove it and move it myself.

I think the oldest machine I've used - at least that comes to memory - is a Compukit UK-101, which actually might not be any older than the Pet or original Apple II. Pongs don't count, otherwise I could go back to '74 at least.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

it doesn't show. Maybe you have a different class of users to the rest of the world, or maybe the ones who have difficulty understanding computers ask for someone else when they call the helpdesk.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp teh 1i/\/ux h4X0r

If you have anything particularly cutting edge it can be a bit of a pain, I remember when I put it on a brand new PPro system (it was the first one built by a large hardware company) it had no idea about the memory controllers or the

32bit architecture, now that's rather old hat.
Reply to
Depresion

8032 and 8096, with twin floppy drives.

Now where can I get an emulator for the PET for my PC?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp teh 1i/\/ux h4X0r

The Intel ones may be better but the old G4 ones are really underpowered, I use one as a media centre running a plasma.

Reply to
Depresion

You've never been to Uni?

Reply to
Depresion

That's what chipped XBoxes are for.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp teh 1i/\/ux h4X0r

Because it started going on about GNOME and KDE. Things I really don't have an interest in fiddling with.

Promises exactly what Linspire promised, and never delivered.

Ahhh, it's a geek thing. Yet another reason to avoid Linux.

Because it's Linux. It's not tied to a particular set of hardware, it

*will* be problematic, because it's written by people in anoraks wearing NHS glasses.

*shrugs*

Then you don't know anything about either the OS or the applications.

Is this before or after you've fiddled with your Linux install to get it to properly work with USB devices?

Apple Works is as good as you need for home use - PDF support is built into the OS, so anything that is printable can be turned into a PDF. Don't know if Apple Works comes with the latest machines, though - but OpenOffice can be downloaded as an OSX binary if you're a cheapskate.

Reply to
SteveH

That's pretty draconian.

Do you think that the fact that three people like it is conclusive proof that it is better?

Linspire doesn't count. It's poor. You don't like choice so I've told you what to try. Or not. I don't care that much although I'd be interested to see what you think.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

And you lot think you can judge usability from a new user's perspective.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

Jesus. I should have made my usability comment here.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

By definition, all Unix based OSs should be stable. That doesn't mean they're any good to actually use, but that they shouldn't crash - if an application does crash, it shouldn't take down the system. As for predictable application behaviour, I don't quite get what you mean, but there's definitely no consistency in the UI between apps.

It's far too much hassle to keep installing different versions of Linux before I discover one that works for me. Life is far too short.

Reply to
SteveH

I wanted a Fujitsu LifeBook P2020, the only OS it came with was ME and there was no way I was going to pay to get another version of Windows.

I've got the printer as well, or rather the plotter, impossible to find the tiny little ballpoint pens it used though. There's also a Mk1 Newton with all the toys and a box of software, some games and stuff like the Tansoft word processor and their version of Forth. Oh reminds me, I've still got a Jupiter Ace as well.

Jings forgot about that as well, I've got an Imagewriter II with AppleTalk and I've still got an Asante router so I could use it with Windows just to piss off Bill Gates.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I've never used any of iLife and never wanted it installed so on a PC I wouldn't have installed it, I never owned an iPod for that mater yet it also defaults to download the iPod updater. Why default to downloading these files rather than as would be preferable defaulting to having them not selected like the software for the web camera.

Reply to
Depresion

Be was my favoured OS while it lasted.

Reply to
Depresion

Do you think there are only three people that think that it is better?

Reply to
Steve Firth

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Yes. Have been able to since, oooh, lets see. OS7.5.5

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

Let's not.

Instead, let's f*ck off to 'alt.weirdy.beardy.geeks', if we want to carry on with this load of old bollocks.

I come in here to read about modded cars with the occasional bit of diversity (being fair game)... not a load of unrelated, convoluted s**te like this.

TIA

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Thanks for your input but it was RichardK that mentioned the criteria that I refer to. Sorry, I'm a bit tired.

But not too short to post on Usenet all night.

I told you to install one not several. If you don't try it, you are only really in a position to compare MacOS to Linspire.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg