OT: Intel Macs - Official dual boot for XP

Apple have just released BootCamp Beta, which lets the Intel MacMini/iMac/MacBook Pro run Windows XP2 natively in a dual booting config, with drivers for video and all.

So, OS X for internet stuffs without viruses, and Windows XP for games (though, the Mini has the crappy video).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I've never had a virus. I'm on XP - I don't see the need to buy over priced style over substance hardware :-)

;-)

Reply to
DanTXD

My virtual PC is infected with all sorts of s**te, despite rarely being used.

Reply to
SteveH

Dans experience is not unusual. I too have never had a virus using XP daily for over 2 years. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

So I gather - but how much maintenance does it take to keep a WinXP box that way?

You have to run some sort of anti-virus protection, spyware protection and also ensure you have AdAware and Spybot to hand to deal with stuff as it comes along.

Even on XP boxes that don't display any signs of viral activity, you'd be amazed at how much AdAware and SpyBot find when you run them.

Contrast this to the Mac experience - I've not had a single incident of viral infection or spyware in the 8 years I've been on MacOS - even though I have one machine open to the world as a web and FTP server.

Reply to
SteveH

I had one in 1989 on my Mac II - one of those INIT viruses. Thankyouverymuch, Mister Adams.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Next to f*ck all. Install OS, turn on firewall, patch up, stick Firefox and Thunderbird on, install half decent AV and use common sense.

Nope. Just stuck Spybot on as an exercise for the first time in 6 months. Two tracking cookies found. Uninstalled it again.

Tracking Cookies don't count.

Reply to
Conor

So, the extra steps over OSX are:

  1. Turn on firewall
  2. Patch up
  3. Stick on Firebird and Thunderbird
  4. Install AV software
  5. Use common sense.

Whereas, with OSX you just install the OS and don't worry about such stuff.

Well, I didn't do any of the steps you listed above, and I have a system that now really needs a full re-install and re-patching.

The point being, why should you have to do this? - a decent OS wouldn't require the end user to have to do all this stuff in order to remain virus free.

Reply to
SteveH

To be fair, it's on automatically.

Also automatic.

Don't use them.

Yup, I must admit, I do have to do that.

Well, I kinda do that anyway...

Reply to
DanTXD

Well my XP box seems fine. Running SP2, which has enough built-in security features for my liking, though it does run noticeably slower than SP1. Does the job though. And apart from the built-in security features, I haven't got any anti-virus software of any kind running. Can't be arsed with it. In all the years I've been using PCs, I've avoided virii just by using common sense - not opening attachments from messages from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com and such like.

Works for me.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Works a lot of people, but it's the only argument the Mac boys have got so don't piss on their bonfire completely dude :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

Speak for yourself; I can't run Shake under Windows ;)

(I prefer Mac OS. That's about it, really - Windows worked fine for me but I did get viruses on 2K, despite firewalls and the like. It really is primarily about preference. In the old days, it was about capability and suitability for the task, but without getting into esoterica (such as Windows continuing lack of decent Colour Management), many of the drawbacks of Windows have been eliminated).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Please tell me why OSX is on version 10.4.6? Tell me why you think it is secure when it uses GPL stuff that has known security vulnerabilities?

So you claim MAC OSX is a decent OS because it requires non of the above?

Ooh, what is this from the Apple Download page?

Security Update 2006-002 v1.1 Mac OS X 10.4.5

About this update

Security Update 2006-002 is recommended for all users and improves the reliability and security of the following components: apache_mod_php CoreTypes LaunchServices Mail rsync Safari

Additionally, this update incorporates Security Update 2006-001, which improves the security of the following components:

apache_mod_php automount Bom Directory Services iChat IPSec LaunchServices LibSystem loginwindow Mail rsync Safari Syndication

Reply to
Conor

Except even that is bollocks. All you have to do is look at the security updates available from Apple...

Reply to
Conor

Well, the .4 bit is a major update - .4 signifies Tiger, which is effectively a new OS release.

.6 is an update - some of it has been to support later versions of the hardware, especially the Intel chips, some of the updates have been driver updates to improve support for 3rd party add-ons, and, yes, there have been some security updates in there, too.

But they're few and far between when compared to the almost daily patches released for Windows.

You're showing your ignorance now, Conor.

All of the above are to deal with theoretical threats to the system, if you didn't install them you wouldn't suddenly have a system open to attack. They're just because there might be, possibly, for a very small number of users, a minute risk that security could be compromised. They aren't critical updates. Besides that, MacOS updates are so seemless I hadn't even noticed we'd had that many updates. With my XP box, there's always a button asking me to install the latest updates, then I have to go through all the authentication procedures etc. It's a painful process, to such an extent that I rarely bother updating until I know I

*have* to do it.

My wife wouldn't have the first clue as to how to update Windows, however, with OSX, I can't remember the last time I had to offer her any kind of tech. support.

Reply to
SteveH

Bizarre. Mine occasionally says 'there's new stuff - do you want to install it'. I say yes, it does. The end. Happens about once a month. I could make it easier by making it do it all automatically if I wanted.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Really?

Oh dear. Someone who stupidly thinks his OS is completely secure:

" Apple released a security update on Wednesday that fixes multiple vulnerabilities, including a critical flaw in its Safari web browser that created a means for hackers to attack vulnerable systems.

The security bug meant malicious hackers could rename "safe file" extensions stored in ZIP archives, creating a way to trick users into executing malicious shell scripts. The flaw meant malicious applications could appear as a safe file type. If Mac users had left the "Open safe files after downloading" option enabled in Safari then malware would automatically be executed as soon as a user was tricked into visiting a malicious-constructed website."

Reply to
Conor

Start menu Windows update Automatic from there

Not exactly rocket science...

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

If it's so insecure, why hasn't it been exploited, then?

I give up.

It's absolutely astounding that so many people will blindly go on using Windows when it's obviously a heap of steaming s**te.

Probably the same reason people keep buying Fords / Vauxhalls etc - it's all they know and are blind to the alternatives on offer, because they're 'foreign' or something.

Reply to
SteveH

Hands up everyone who can't wait for the first OSX virus to come out to take the smug smiles off Apple users.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston