OT: Intel Macs - Official dual boot for XP

His website / photos provide a clue :-p

Reply to
SteveH

MZ80K - that was the one with the proper keyboard? or was that the A?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

FFS. Doesn't everyone?

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Probably twice as reliable. Certainly better styled. Definitely more desirable.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It's the one that looks like some kind of olde-worlde EPOS terminal.

Reply to
SteveH

It was installed, of course. It's just that the user hasn't twigged, and therefore for some inexplicable reason, doesn't want the latest one.

Macs have iLife installed as standard. It's what they do. iTunes is part of that.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Isn't that funded by one of the space tourists who's name I can't remember? (South African IIRC) It's not a bad distro but I still tend to recommend Knoppix for 1st time users.

Reply to
Depresion

*Checks newsgroup* Hmm!
Reply to
Depresion

The Pentium M is a fantastic chip, it's amazing that it came out so close to the Prescott that was so bloated, slow and gave off a lot of hot air. Not something we would normally associate with the name Prescott would we.

Reply to
Depresion

Oh, now I'm confused. Maybe I have an A. Whatever it is, it's like a PET, but better. Odd keyboard, tape beside monitor. Circa '79/80ish, Ceramic chips in it.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

The A had a proper keyboard, the K had keys that looked like they belonged on a checkout (removable caps to put inlays under them, IYSWIM)

Reply to
SteveH

Not here in England.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yes, it is a K, then. I have removed the caps in the past to clean it out. Some keys don't work, so I need to find a suitable till to ransack

- FWIW, my Roland DR-55 drum machine (same as Sisters of Mercy started out with, useless fact fans) uses the same keys.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

That's my MP you're talking about.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Now the Pet... that was the nuts - did my time in accountancy operating Auditman (IIRC) on a Pet.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Surely not a 2001-8, though? Do you still have tendons in your arms?

Richard (the 8096-SK, now that was a classy office computer).

Reply to
RichardK

Why?

You asked someone to recommend a distro. I graciously did. You appear to be pulling out all the stops to ignore the recommendation. If your attention span is really that short, then here is a potted answer:

It was a joke and it's nothing to do with the point.

What makes you think you would have any of the above with Ubuntu?

I think things should stand or fall on their own.

I know what they do. I don't know what makes them so revolutionary.

gPhoto does this.

Don't know about these, never done it. I would try to find out some more info, but you will probably get bored.

What's the included office suite like? If it can do all the above complex tasks, it must be easy to write a letter/spreadsheet/presentation and email it to a friend in, say, PDF format, out of the box.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

I support users every day, by phone and email, sometimes on-site. They run Windows, Mac, and Linux, all in various flavours.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

Meh. Knoppix is a great live CD and pants HD install. If you prefer KDE to Gnome, try Kubuntu.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

Oooh, now you're talking. I used to drool over those when I was a kid - they looked so futuristic.

Never used a 2001-8, but used the later model with a proper keyboard and a pair of massive 5.25" drives underneath it.

I think the oldest machine I ever used was some kind of IBM office machine, built into a desk, with a golf-ball printer and 8" floppy drive. Odd thing, it was - but I don't have a model number to stick into google.

Reply to
SteveH