OT: Intel Macs - Official dual boot for XP

I asked you to quantify. You did. It fits your criteria, but it's still not good enough for you. Even with the free-ness, quality and quantity of apps, and easy upgrades, which are only some of the advantages, it's still not good enough for you.

I mentioned Ubuntu to you the other day. You never replied.

Seriously, I can call it iLinux. I'll build you a kernel. :P

So?

Only iTunes.

Perhaps *you* would given that you keep saying how great it is. NB I think users deserve more respect.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

Actually... I don't think I have used OS/2. Seriously. I might have in passing, but definitely not really used it properly. If I ever get the IBM 486/66 Colour TFT "lunchbox" luggable that I wat for my collection, I will want OS/2 for it.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

In what way?

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Hell it's a lot more fun than Panther.

Reply to
Depresion

Yes, I don't want it so I don't download it, yet next time there is an update for anything guess what's been selected again.

I fixed your post there.

Reply to
Depresion

Have you, just as a suggestion, TRIED SELECTING "IGNORE THIS UPDATE" from the appropriate menu?

You know, like, just a suggestion?

Antony, do you know this Mac OS X user? ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

D'oh, I mean, cubes. Being offered tea at the same time as typing.

Reply to
RichardK

I see. Is your machine not plugged into a LAN?

I don't understand your point. If I can find two people who have used a similar variety, but don't think MacOS is the best, what does that prove?

I agree that people with little understanding, and little experience, are badly placed to comment.

PS You've used all those OSs but not Ubuntu Linux? Shame. :P

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

It was very much a decent OS, spoiled by the breakup of microsoft and IBM on the NT project.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

QL is a bit mainstream, nothing better than trying to get an OPD to say rude things.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I tried reading that, but, honestly, I got bored after the first handful of lines.

See, that's the point - 'build a kernel' - wtf is that all about?

I want to stick in a CD / DVD, install an OS and have it working without picking a desktop manager, tweaking the interface, and endless hassle trying to get all my accessories to work with it.

It's what we can easily benchmark Linux and OSX against - because most people know what XP looks and feels like to use.

So you don't know anything about them, then?

OK - plug in camera, iPhoto starts up, photos download to computer. Nice and easy - even my wife could manage it without any help.

iSync - pair phone with computer (Bluetooth) press a button and all your calendar info from iCal and your addresses from the inbuilt address book are synced.

iMovie - plug in a camcorder and make a movie - export it to iDvd and make a DVD. I've tried Windows Movie Maker, it's clunky, hard to configure and a PITA to write to optical disc.

Reply to
SteveH

you *obviously* don't work on a Helpdesk.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I still want to know how Richard knows lots of people who are into self-harm, mutilation, S&M and ball-torture.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It is, yes. However, the settings for said LAN are hidden away, so running any other OS from the optical drive wouldn't actually solve anything for me.

It proves that a couple of people with experience of a large variety of OSs - more experience of different systems than your average home user - have found that OSX is by far the nicest OS to use. In fact, there's a

3rd poster with significant experience that also prefers to use a Mac.

As I've said, I've looked at Linux, but, it's hard work to get running.

Reply to
SteveH

My oldest machine to hand... is probably a Sharp MZ80K. But I think my Sharp PC1211 is the same age or slightly older, and I'm not thinking too hard about what lurks elsewhere in the house. Hell, I have my SE/30 with ethernet when I can be arsed fitting a bigger, functional HD to it.

Heh ;)

I liked some of it. Some of it was seriously flawed, as I'm sure you'll know if you don't have the extra RAM in your eMate (if you don't, get it, as it enables 32-bit transfers). The hardware was too damn big, though again the eMate was pretty much perfect. 2100 CPU, RAM and OS in an eMate would have been ideal.

Hey, TWO QLs, thanks. Networked. One has a Super Gold Card installed -

68020. Actually, that reminds me, I forgot to pull the "Panos" card for Operating Systems. Bugger. Oh well, I don't have the ABC 210 anymore anyway.

I'm not sure, actually - haven't heard of anything for it, but a quick Google reveals Contiki being ported to Tandy CoCo, which means at least some stuff will be easy enough to port to Dragon - might need a 64 though, or 200.

Matter of national pride, is it?

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I'd find it hard to justify the cost of such a system for a laptop to be honest.

It would cost about double what I pay for my cars, ffs!

Reply to
SteveH

Heh, no, but it appears that you are recommending User Intervention! I thought it didn't need the user to do anything.

I can't believe it doesn't read one's thought processes that one doesn't want to install an application that wasn't installed before. Hold on, it's an iApp, so we want it anyway! Hooray for Big Brother Apple!

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

Select the update so it is highlighted.

Using both hands, very slowly and carefully move the mouse to the menu bar, and select the menu "Update".

Press the mouse/mouse button, and carefully drag down to the first item

- "Ignore Update".

Release the mouse/button

Move mouse to resulting dialogue box.

Press button on "OK".

If you need further instructions, seek medical help.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I'm trying to work out what other s**te old kit I have here that can be used on the 'net...... I mean I have the SGI and some huge Sparc kit, but I can't get any of it working.

Lol.

Reply to
SteveH

I already spent some time a few years back designing a stage performance instrument around a BBC which did exactly that, and used two analogue controllers to speak random words, and generate tones.

Didn't finish it, sadly - rewriting the software from BASIC to Assembler was too much work. Still got the bits, though the speech chips are in a Torch HDP now.

(I want an OPD badly, my last one suffered monitor death - and the PSU was in the monitor, which I forgot and threw out).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK