OT: Intel Macs - Official dual boot for XP

1988, with the Multimedia PC specification, but the DOS shells somewhat predate CDs, as does the concept of Shareware. Or have you forgotten PD libraries?

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

From my 2000 machine: [Version 5.00.2195]

From this XP machine [Version 5.1.2600]

2000 is very much line NT4. XP is very much like 2000 (if you un-tellytubby it)
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

DHCP is a good way of keeping track of IPs on the network if set up properly.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Hmm well, it depends on if one considers CD-ROMS to have arrived when they were first available as external peripherals or when they were first installed as standard equipment.

CD-ROM first seemed to kick off at ludicrous prices at the end of 1988. IIRC the first CD-ROM I saw commercially at that time was about $3000 for a 150kb/s device. They were being bought as development systems for the proposed Multimedia PCs which never seemed to materialise. ISTR that Microsoft were offering software on CD-ROM much earlier but we couldn't get any CD-ROM drives to use with them.

IIRC Commodore were first off the mark with an integrated CD-ROM in the CD-TV in January 1991.

The first personal computer to feature a CD-ROM drive as standard was the Macintosh IIvx in 1992.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I don't recall how much my Apple external CD-ROM was, but it wasn't that much. NeXT offered an optional CD-ROM in addition to the internal (and unrelated) Optical drive, and that is closely related to the Apple CD300e IIRC - though I think that option is from 1990.

We had a Philips Multimedia system in the school in '88, I remember it very well. I was an afficionado of the Doomsday system (and have owned one), and didn't see what the fuss was about ;)

Well.. the PC Engine had it in 1988, but that wasn't so much a multimedia trick, and it was an accessory. The CDTV was such a flop, too

I think Fujitsu might argue that one (FM Towns, 1989).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I was the first person in my circle of friends at Uni. to have a CD-ROM drive - it was an A570 add-on for my A500+.

Happy days.....

Reply to
SteveH

What, having friends? *runs away*

(I had an A570, but I also had a CDTV when they were new - I reckon the stuff I had when new is more interesting for these sort of things, since I've had most stuff when it's obsolete).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Unfortunately I was out-blinged by the guy living over the corridor from me - he had a hard drive add-on for his Amiga. Can't remember which one it was, but it wasn't the offical CBM job. It was profiled to match the A500.

However, I was the only one with an A500+, and also the only one with an

80286 emulator card :-)

I've still got all the kit in the garage.

Reply to
SteveH

I cheated a little, since I've had so many machines - so in primary school/comprehensive, I had three basic 'streams' of computing - stream one was office kit I inherited, so went Apple ][ (1980), Apple Lisa {1985 - but it was actually mine, in my room), Apple Mac SE (1987ish) and so forth. Then I had "my" computer, which was a VideoPac G7000, then Tandy CoCo2 (I think), then Spectrum/+, then 1040STFM, then I got into buying my own kit and had all sorts of stuff like an Archimedes A3000 when it came out, Macintosh IIx system with video, CD, scanner and so forth in 1989/90...

After a point I got into collecting and it gets silly - when I was 14 my room had something like 30-40 computers at any given time, with permanent setups of Atari STE, SAM Coupe, Sinclair QL, Amiga CDTV (then

1200 when I was 17), Mac IIx, Lisa, SE, Archie A3000, PET 2001, Enterprise 128 with disk unit, TI99/4a.

I loved New Computer Express classifieds.

Richard (I had friends, too - hard to credit it really. I was an odd kid. My room also had a couple of synths and several valve radios that I'd be working on at any given time, so when the house was rewired it was kitted out with 13 plugs and it's own fused spur).

Reply to
RichardK

Aha. OK, didn't realise that.

Reply to