OT: Intel Macs - Official dual boot for XP

AVG + Windows Defender. Job Done.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The point being that if Mac users were the majority then OSX would be the point of attack for the virus writers. As it is it's in the minority.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Well, there's hacks to get Intel OSX running on generic PC boxes, but it generally doesn't appear to work all that well.

However, this does mean it's theoretically possible to run OSX in a Window on your WinXP / Linux desktop.

Reply to
SteveH

And instantly Parallels goes one better with Parallels Workstation. This supports virtualisation so that you can run Windows (3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, Me, 2000, NT, XP, 2003), any Linux distribution, FreeBSD, Solaris, OS/2, eComStation or MS-DOS as well as OSX and switch between them on the fly.

Even the pillock here who thinks that using Linux makes him "hard" can't complain about this.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Okay. Can you, personally, actually see electrons in wires? No. However, by using SCIENCE, we can deduce the behaviour of said electrons, right?

I don't care how they arrive at the results, I can observe the criteria and the results.

Because those are the primary factors that are evident. If MS released the patches before the exploits were used, then that is how it would be defined - likewise, if Apple released a patch after an exploit was used, then that definition would apply.

It's simple enough to understand, but hey, you're just a Linux user ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I assume you don't have statistics to back this up. Please let me know if you do.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

Like most of the windows vulnerabilities, unexploited.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

This is a compelling argument for buying a MacBookPro.

Or maybe I should wait for a single core iBook G4 replacement.

Reply to
SteveH

Well it would be a step up from his Marina.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Christ on a bike, would you like to get your head out of your butt? Linux has it's place in the world, but only a complete pillock would claim that it makes a decent desktop OS.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Microsoft have a lot more regression testing to perform due to the wider hardware and software integration of their OS than Apple. Only thing worse than a system taken down by an exploit is a system taken down by the fix.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

You don't need statistics to know that most Mac users started off on another OS, or even still have to suffer Windows at work - like I do.

I note you didn't reply to the important bit in my post.

Reply to
SteveH

Apple have done an architecture switch before. All these newbies seem to forget it, mind.

(I was already wondering why they didn't go to Intel, before they announced it. IBM really failed to deliver the goods for G5 progress... and it was painful seeing proper Mac advocates try to justify the slow machines against clearly improving, and even better, Pentium-M systems. I'm happy with my G4 laptop, but god, I know it is 'slow' by modern standards, I just don't ask much of laptops - little bit of music/video editing is the limit really).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Have done this - and it depends very much on the ISP. I always set up new machines behind a hardware firewall anyway.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Thanks, that's an incredibly good argument for sticking with Apple.

OSX just works, because it's tied down to a small set of hardware.

Reply to
SteveH

Windows XP in a Virtual (in the VT sense) PC on an Intel Mac.

So, how long before EFI emulation from them, and OS X running on a Virtual (VT) PC on a regular bitsa/Dell with the right cards?

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

You're probably behind NAT. Interesting point. Macs have traditionally been used with Ethernet ADSL routers behind NAT. Windows machines were often used with a rubbish USB ADSL modem, which allocates a public IP. NAT isn't a firewall as such, but is a good defence against many Internet attacks.

Don't go there. iTunes is the essence of modern being. ;)

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

Indeed - but I only see this as another argument for Mac OS X. Predictable hardware - and not even that out of date or low end - bringing enhanced stability to the OS.

For the consumer, I don't think the mechanics of it matter. Only the end result.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I arrived at Mac via CP/M (Intertec SuperBrain), some weird-ass COBOL/Fortran (allegedly) system (TA DDS-1 - aka Bitsy, I wish I could find another one), Apple DOS 3.3, ProDOS, OS9 (Tandy CoCo Model III)...

Admittedly, Mac wasn't out before then. And I did have the honour of using Lisa 7/7, though after the Mac came out.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

She might.

No, they should become competent. Whatever they use.

A meaningless statement unless you define perfect.

Has anybody seen the goalposts? ;)

Reply to
Antony Gelberg