OT: Intel Macs - Official dual boot for XP

If it did it would have to ensure license compliance - OEM licenses of some apps are not transferable to alternate computers, retail ones normally are but would require the deletion of the apps from the old computer. It gives you a list of apps you need to install after the transfer is complete.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

s/ro/su/

Reply to
Steve Firth

why does that ring a bell...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Fair call - I have no idea - is Thailand pikey or not?

Reply to
DanTXD

Now that's a *whoosh* moment...

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Having read it again when sober, please bear in mind it WAS 5:40am and I WAS hammered, I got it that time :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

Meh, I was posting at 3am having finally got Ubuntu to run on my G3 (the

6400's HD was dead).

And it was TOTALLY not worth the effort, either ;) I have run OS X on an OldWorld G3 - 266MHz instead of 233 - and yes, it was slow sometimes, but it was tolerable. It was slow like, say, NeXTStep 3.3 is slow on a

25MHz slab - but most operations were no problem. In fact, like running Win2K on a Pentium Pro or something. Ubuntu farting badger or whatever it is was SO slow on the Mac that moving the mouse during any operation

- say, adjusting the volume with the menu item - was impossible, as it resulted in the pointer appearing randomly all over the place as you tried to correct an over-movement. And that's ignoring the lack of sound (still figuring that one out), the 800 x 600 limited resolution despite the 15" A/V display supporting 1152 x 864 on the Mac (and 1024 x 768 with some comfort) - yes, I have set it up right, I think it just needs telling to run a lower bitdepth or something.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

No, really?

No it isn't a major update. It's a patch with a few added bits and bobs and some bug fixes. Microsoft would call it a Service Pack.

No, really?

Except it wasn't called NT5 was it? Neither was most of it anything like the OS before.

And Steve Jobs conned you all.

Reply to
Conor

No, f****it.

Here's a website for noddies. It applies to OS X as well.

No X server, no GUI.

Reply to
Conor

It provides the graphical server. Without X, Mac OSX would have a GEMM like interface.

Reply to
Conor

"GEM like". Like many of the DOS ones that came out on the "5000 Best Shareware Hits" CDs in the early 90's.

Reply to
Conor

Why do they need to be running DHCP other than to allow someone like you half a chance of fiding an IP address range?

Why would that matter on an OS where you have admin privelidges?

And you might want to read about this:

Conor

You really don't have a clue about how corporate IT works, do you Conor?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Good, you're learning. I'll give you a certificate at the end if you're really good.

Once again, Conor displays a lack of knowledge of Mac OS X.

In 10.x updates, the window manager frequently recieved serious updates; the kernel has been changed (NetBSD/FreeBSD), there are significant alterations far greater than those witnessed between, say, Windows 2K and XP. The whole method of handling applications changed under Tiger.

Yes. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Look in the control panels. You'll see it referred to as NT5 in, IIRC, the System whatsit panel, or Device Manager. One of those system overview ones.

Sure Conor. You keep telling youself that, as someone who has no idea what Mac OS is actually like ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

How do you figure that out. What's GEMM, Conor? What do you understand of GEM (since you thought it was a text mode shell before).

What did Macs do before they supported X11?

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Jesus, Conor. More like early 80s. Haven't you heard of VisiOn?

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I corrected it for you ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Used a proprietry method as does Windows. OSX uses X though. A "GUI" with X has three layers.

Reply to
Conor

Really? Care to tell me when CDROM drives made an appearance on PCs in anyt significant number?

Reply to
Conor

No, it doesn't. X11 is an optional install for Unix compatibility (upon which you can install Fink and Fink Commander, and then any idiot can get free Unix software, just like on Linux ;) ).

Have you seen OpenStep for Windows?

But the actual USER INTERFACE - not application interface - is the Window Manager ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK