OT: Intel Macs - Official dual boot for XP

Except you can add pretty much any WiFi USB adaptor. There's a difference between 'restricted' hardware, and 'selected' hardware.

Honestly, Conor. You really know nothing about Macs. You're not about to learn it in a day.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I will happily discount your opinions on what it looks like.

Reply to
DervMan

Power is kinda academic for what I want it for, really.

But I do want something quiet. :)

Reply to
DervMan

Same here. Except it's got to be windoze (work). Burgerman's solution would almost be tempting, except for the massive amount of faff...

Are any of the mainstream PC brands particularly quiet? None of them use it as a selling point :-(

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

In what way?

Reply to
Conor

Reply to
Conor

Nope. But seeing as the council sink estate single mums with f*ck all clue I sold computers to have managed to avoid infection of any sort, kind of makes you wonder exactly what the people you've dealt with are doing with them.

Reply to
Conor

Why not? You've been prattling on about how easy they are to use for the past few days.

Reply to
Conor

OK, then, Mr know-it-all.. tell me *exactly* how I can get on the company Intranet using a Linux live CD.

Reply to
SteveH

I've lost track of the number of times I've been told "I can do XXX" on a PC just like on a Mac. Then you see how XXX has to be done on a PC, and piss yourself laughing.

The first example i can remember was Microsoft's attempts to rival QuickTime (after Bill Gates had stated that QuickTime was a gimmick and he wanted no part in it). They took a bunch of us to Winnersh to show us video playback using AVI. Or at least that's what they said they were doing.

The video was impressively fast and decent resolution. But when I looked at the PC running it, I was puzzled about why they needed a Laserdisk player. I took the mouse and moved the video replay window and... the picture didn't move with the window. The Windows was just a pink box and they were using Chromakey to overlay a replayed analog video.

Much coughing and muttering from MS staff and an "explanation" that the player wasn't quite ready yet and this would give an impression of how good AVI woudl be when it finally arrived.

When it did arrive, the best it could do was a 160x120 window at 8fps, at the time Quicktime was managing 320x240 at 20fps on a slower computer.

Ever since then when I've seen something whizzy on a Mac someone always pops up to say "I can do that on Windows/Linux" then proudly shows off some clunky lashup.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's not so much the board as a matter of acoustic design. Stick with cases from the big-boys if you're self building - Antec, Thermaltake, Coolermaster etc. I have an Antec Aria in my living room running a 2.4GHz Northwood and it's quiet enough - gonna transplant it into a P series case though to drop the noise further.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

At the places I work, if you tried such a trick you would get not only the sack, but a short fast trip to the guardhouse.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Startup and operation - Linspire seems quicker. Windows 98 seems quicker.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

More to the point - why would you want to - probably gross misconduct.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Gerroff, we all know Yorkshire's the syphilis capital of England.

I know that on the council estate where a friend of mine lives, everyone they know has had their PC infected by a multitude of viruses and malware. I know this because I de-infested their PC and got asked if I could do hundreds of others while I was there (no time to do more than one favour for a friend though). Also several people told me they had bills in excess of £400 for rogue dialled calls.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well, yes, that's even if you could bypass things.

Reply to
SteveH

Yet completely stable on all the PCs I have with a wide verity of hardware and software that gets chucked on and off them all the time.

Reply to
Depresion

It depends on what you are after, Pentium M based stuff runs cool and the new BTX form factor is designed specifically for noise reduction.

Reply to
Depresion

Was Office 95 in the box?

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

What a LIE. Unless I missed something. What versions can you upgrade between? Can you upgrade your applications at the same time?

Reply to
Antony Gelberg