OT: Intel Macs - Official dual boot for XP

You don't need to. It's installed on every new Mac. I've never actually tried to remove iLife from the Mac, because I actually use my computers for more than... actually, what DO people use computers for that iLife doesn't cover? And if they aren't using modern, powerful computers for music, video, multimedia tasks - why aren't they still using 486s with

32Mb RAM?

Well, let's see.

If you don't have the device, and the default is to offer the update anyway, with the option to ignore said update available one click away, anyone who does have the device but is unaware of the update is offered it - making sure they get new features, compatibility with new accessories and so forth.

If the default is not to offer it, then many people who have the iPod will not update it, and miss out, because they won't check or look.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Since Word originated on the Mac...

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Mine too. I'm yet to play with ZetaOS, but I really liked DR8.1 of BeOS on the BeBox - I had one of the 7 (or similarly silly number) of official BeBoxes in the UK from Computer Warehouse - they offered them for sale in January '97 for a fortnight, then Be canned the hardware - real shame, as it was a beautiful system - well engineered, mechanically, and quick.

Well, quick until they started with the Intel-compatible releases of BeOS. DR8.1 was not only useable, it was quick on my dual 66MHz PPC machine. PR4.5 was absolutely useless, you could watch it draw the windows.

I regret selling the BeBox, though. I bought a Cadillac with some of the proceeds ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I do all of that but none of it with iLife.

It's not a question of offering it, it's a question of having it default to download rather than default to offered but not selected.

Reply to
Depresion

Rather worryingly we agree on that.

Reply to
Depresion

As did Excel and Powerpoint. Excel was in fact the application that really kick started Windows because it would work with large spreadsheets and memory in excess of 640kB without serious problems whereas Lotus 123 was a complete dog in this respect.

Powerpoint was a bad joke, and in most respects still is. I can remember comparing Powerpoint with Aldus Persuasion and thinking that Microsoft were taking the piss.

Sadly when it was ported to the PC, even Powerpoint was so much better than the s**te offered on PCs (Harvard Graphics ) that PC users would use nothing else.

Reply to
Steve Firth

So, that kind of kicks the "You have to update Windows and it's effort" argument into touch then. As we just set ours to Auto and ignore it...

Reply to
DanTXD

I don't think anyone is trying to argue Ubuntu is popular :-) I'd never ever heard of it till this thread, and I still don't know what it is :-D

Reply to
DanTXD

What the f*ck IS iLife?

Reply to
DanTXD

To be fair, automatic updates are on by default, every now and again she'd get a balloon in the bottom right saying "New updates ready to install" or some such, "Click here to do so". Give her some more credit! I'm pretty sure she could do that :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

What you running for the web server? Got an IP address for me to have a punt at?

Reply to
Conor

I had a punt at it for a while. Didn't last long as I laid my hands on a Win95 BETA.

Reply to
Conor

Probably because they made the mistake I did when I first started on Linux - expecting to be able to do things the same way as Windows and not being used to the differences in terminology.

When did you last try?

Reply to
Conor

So does Windows if you're prone to joining unsecured WiFi networks.

Contrast that to the 20-odd minutes of fiddling it took to

Nah - an example of the fact you don't have a clue.

Reply to
Conor

Of course it is. Dead easy to have a trouble free system when the OS author has complete control over the hardware used. How many combinations of model and vendor are there for iMACs? Does it reach three figures? Compare that to the tens of thousands for IBM PC Compatible.

Reply to
Conor

You can.

Correct. It had another two years to go before its first release.

Reply to
Conor

Virtually all Linux distros install OpenOffice as standard dunring the OS installation.

Reply to
Conor

Jesus, way to go if you want to frighten them off.

Reply to
Conor

Same with Windows which is why Dell ships more PCs that Apple.

Reply to
Conor

Yet Windows still has over 90% of the desktop market.

Reply to
Conor