OT: Intel Macs - Official dual boot for XP

They come with games.

NeXT?

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Appleworks isn't in the box. They removed it because they can. They sucked the faithful in and now they're turning the screw.

I'm sorry, X11 sounds like computer geek talk. Talk about double standards. ;)

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

I'll pay for stuff that works, however ;)

I've used audio software under Linux. It was possibly the funniest thing I have ever seen since Bernard Manning, but slightly less responsive.

As for GIMP - it works, sure. So do Ford Model Ts as transport. But, things have moved on.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

What you mean compare the fact that Microsoft AVI is largely irrelevant while QuickTime is now the MPEG4 standard?

Reply to
Steve Firth

It does, but possibly not in the way that you were thinking.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It was slow starting. It's no Pro Tools yet, but it has made massive strides in the last year. I was planning to resurrect my Cubase studio until I tried current Ardour which is pretty good and still being aggressively developed. It certainly works if that is your criteria.

Er, GIMP is in active development. Also great software, and probably good enough for a lot of Photoshop users. Check out Inkscape. Great app.

I note you didn't reply to my whole post, that's okay, it was a tall order. :P

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

I have AppleWorks on mine; I haven't bought a new Mac in a while. Pages will open the Word document but is a 30-day trial (however, it's in the box). I wonder if TextEdit will handle a Word file...

Excel is another matter without AppleWorks.

X11 might sound like geek talk, but if you'd used it, you'd know how easy it is ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Yes.

Just tried it.

(Actually, the file was produced in Pages, then exported as a .doc file, then opened in TextEdit)

Reply to
SteveH

There is no extra charge for doing over a network, not really useful unless machine has no optical drive though.

Yes.

Windows update takes care of bugfixes and patches, upgrade packs come with the convenience of a box and media so you can re-install at will.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

GIMP - does it handle 32 bit CMYK yet?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

But still nothing on Cubase or Logic.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahah

Umm no.

The Gimp is OK in many respects but the interface remains clunky, and it's not like Photoshop CS2 has an interface to write home about. Automation in the Gimp is non existent, and you can't use it to produce professional work. As a toy for geeks and a tool for those who turn out the odd website it's not too bad. I've usually had a copy on every new laptop just so that I can cope with screendumps and preparation for manuals. However to do anything remotely like real work it's back to Creative Suite.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I have a Thermaltake Tsunami Dream - it's well cool :)

Reply to
DanTXD

I'll admit - I have The Gimp on all my computers too, because it work. I have photoshop or creative suite on all the important ones though - Adobe software just works (though Premiere has been overtaken a bit by Finalcut and Vegas) well for me and works on all the platforms that matter.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Bet it doesn't sell well in Thailand.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Alot of corporate machines stupidly have it on a sticker on the back of the PC.

No you don't.

All you need to find is which class of Subnet is being used and the address range for that subnet.

Reply to
Conor

I did. I'm sorry. I'll get me coat.

Reply to
Conor

Sorry, I'm starting not to see the wood from the trees.

Reply to
Conor

So you can get free bugfixes. The same as Windows.

Reply to
Conor

Including the price ;-p

Reply to