spring-type seat belt pre-tensioners

Cars I have driven had explosive pre-tensioners. I learned there was also mechanical spring pre-tensioners. Which vehicles used these?

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Usually those are only in the bargain basement vehicles not sold in the US.
--
Steve W.

The first cars I drove with seatbelts had no mechanism at all, you just adjusted the shoulder belt to fit you and it didn't move in or out. People hated them.
For many years, seatbelt systems used a ratchet retractor gadget that allowed the seatbelts to be pulled out slowly but they would stop if they were pulled out too quickly.
I don't know of any mechanical pretensioners, although I would not be surprised if they existed in the transition period between retracting belts and the modern explosive pretensioner. --scott

Scott Dorsey wrote:

They are more common outside the US. Basically a simple inertial weight and spring with a pawl that releases and locks the belt, same basic design as the child seat style belts but self locking if the weights trigger them.
--
Steve W.

That's not pretensioning at all. That's just a locking belt, like we had in the US throughout the eighties.
A pretensioner would need a much larger weight that actually tightens the belt instead of just locking. --scott

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 10:05:35 PM UTC+8, Scott Dorsey wrote:

I saw them in Youtube videos (by themself not in a car). Just wondered what vehicles used them. Presumably they were less reliable and needed a good housing to keep dirt out.